Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

older | 1 | .... | 54 | 55 | (Page 56) | 57 | 58 | .... | 189 | newer

    0 0

    The ANC in the Western Cape is fuming after Helen Zille apparently made "fat" comments - effectively calling an ANC MPL obese.



    The ANC in the Western Cape is fuming after Premier Helen Zille apparently made “fat” comments during the sitting of the provincial legislature - effectively calling an ANC MPL obese.


    According to the party, Zille snapped at social development spokeswoman Zodwa Magwaza on Thursday, during a reply to Magwaza’s reference to Zille’s silence on the much-publicised closure of schools - which she called the “elephant in the room”.

    Zille shot back, addressing Magwaza directly. Mocking the “elephant phrase” as referring to Magwaza’s lifestyle and weight, she advised Magwaza to take up cycling, saying it would be good for her.

    “There is only one elephant in the room,” Zille said, according to ANC members, during her reply to her provincial address.


    When contacted by Weekend Argus, Magwaza did not want to comment. But the party’s provincial secretary, Songezo Mjongile, complained that Zille was not taking the opposition seriously, passing rude remarks rather than responding to the serious question posed by Magwaza.

    “Instead she resorted to racist and sexist insults which are completely unbecoming of a premier.”


    Mjongile added that it was not the first time Zille had resorted to insults.

    Mjongile was adamant the party would not let the matter rest.


    ANC spokesman Cobus Grobler said such insults had been used previously by the DA in the Western Cape, such as when former provincial DA leader Theuns Botha “likened the leader of the opposition, Lynne Brown (ANC), to a hippopotamus”. “If Zille doesn’t voluntarily retract and apologise… the ANC will demand she be officially censured,” he added.

    The premier was not available for comment at the time of going to press last night, but her spokesman Zak Mbele said Zille had merely challenged Magwaza to a cycle race to Devil’s Peak. - Sunday Argus

    0 0

    A chance visit by a police officer literally blew the lid on a suburban drug laboratory at a house owned by an alleged Sexy Boys gang leader.



    A chance visit by a police officer literally blew the lid on a suburban drug laboratory at a house owned by alleged Sexy Boys gang leader Jerome “Donkie” Booysen, when a huge stash of chemicals used to make illegal drugs went up in flames.

    As police laid siege for five days to the house, in an upmarket Durbanville suburb, Community Safety MEC Dan Plato admitted that the Sexy Boys gang, under what police say is the most sophisticated gang boss in the province, controls the “massive” drug trade at city centre clubs and pubs.


    The house was one of three owned by Booysen - two in Durbanville and one in Bellville - which were searched by the Hawks last month. Four men were arrested for allegedly dealing in drugs.

    While Hawks spokesman Captain Paul Ramoloko confirmed a “drug laboratory” was discovered at Booysen’s home, and that “drug manufacturing chemicals” were confiscated, Weekend Argus can reveal the operation at one of the Durbanville houses was exposed when a police officer stopped to query a vehicle parked in the driveway.

    Moments after he knocked, flames engulfed the back of the house, releasing clouds of chemical gases into the air. He saw someone flee and called for back-up.


    When it became clear what the beat policeman had stumbled upon, the elite Hawks deployed five teams to the house, standing guard there for the next five days. On the fifth day, the police removed what was left of the chemicals, also using a forklift to move two vehicles.

    Ramoloko said the impounded vehicles “were used in the commission of crimes, and are regarded as proceeds of drugs”.

    Dozens of neighbours reported a scene straight out of a gangland movie. They said the fire brigade arrived, then the uniformed police, the Hawks, a police forensics team, and finally members of the police’s intelligence branch.

    At the end of the five days, the neighbours said, they watched as the forensics team, wearing masks and protective clothing, carried out 250-litre drums, apparently containing the precursor chemicals used in the manufacture of drugs. At least some of the drums are understood to have contained methaqualone, the key ingredient in the manufacture of Mandrax - which, Weekend Argus sources say, has been flooding the Cape market in the form of a new tablet with the street name “Boss”.

    Police cordoned off the area, at times warning neighbours of “hazardous materials”.


    By late evening on the day of the fire, the Vindoux Street house was swarming with police.

    Heavily-armed undercover police officers also hid in trees in front of the house and in the backyard, the neighbours reported.

    “You should have seen the special forces here. I just about walked over one of them hiding behind the trees.


    “From what I understand, the house was used by the Sexy Boys gang to manufacture drugs,” one neighbour told Weekend Argus.

    On Friday night, following a walkabout of the city’s clubs, MEC Plato said his office had received complaints of “massive drug-dealing” in the city centre.

    At first Plato denied knowing how the drugs entered the clubs, but when pressed, acknowledged that, in many cases, it appeared bouncers employed to provide security at the door had been found to be responsible.

    He also said that the bosses of Specialised Security Services (SPS), the company launched by Booysen and his business partners André Naudé and Mark Lifman, still controlled security at entertainment venues in Long Street, supplying bouncers to venues.

    Meanwhile, a charge sheet at the Bellville Magistrate’s Court details the four men taken into custody in the Hawks raids at Booysen’s properties as Abdul Bashier Adendorf, 42, and David Orr, 38, both from Parow, Brendon Smith, 39, from Uitsig, and Kenneth Hansen, 46, from Bellville. The first three were arrested on February 1, and Hansen on February 7. They remain in custody and are expected to apply for bail on Wednesday.

    Ramoloko told Weekend Argus that although Booysen had not been charged, he remained “a person of interest to us”.

    He confirmed the other four suspects had been charged with dealing in drugs.

    Ian Small-Smith, Booysen’s attorney, said Booysen was “not a suspect in the matter and he will follow my advice on the matter”.

    “We have been and will continue to co-operate with the authorities in this matter,” he added. - Sunday Argus


    0 0

    Speculation is rife that it was a teenager, or a man nicknamed "Doughnut", who shot Pastor Albern Martins.



    Speculation is rife that it was a teenager, or a man nicknamed “Doughnut”, who shot Pastor Albern Martins, and although many sources suggested yesterday that someone had been arrested, this was denied by the police.


    Martins died after being shot in the head outside the Blue Downs Magistrate’s Court at about 9am on Friday as he arrived to appear on charges of abalone smuggling.

    Other suggestions were that he was shot to silence him as he prepared to turn State witness.

    Late yesterday, police spokesman Colonel Tembinkosi Kinana told Weekend Argus he spoke to the detective involved in the case, “and they have not been able to verify an arrest as of yet”.


    Community Safety MEC Dan Plato also confirmed hearing rumours of an arrest, but said he could not confirm whether it was true.


    Pastor Ivan Waldeck, Martins’ close friend who worked with him for the past 20 years, said he has heard of Doughnut.


    Meanwhile, the alleged leader of the Wonder Kids gang from Factreton, Christopher “Ougat” Patterson, has lashed out at youngsters for killing his friend, indicating he also believed a teenager could have been involved.

    “This person was used by other people.

    “The kids of today don’t care if they kill the Pope, a pastor or a kid. They have no respect or discipline,” he declared.


    Martins, a former gangster, earned his reputation as a gang pastor by arranging peace deals among rival gangs, and overseeing more than 200 gang funerals.

    Last year, Martins was one of a number of pastors trying to end a gang war which swept across the Cape Flats.

    Yesterday Martins’ family spokesman Aaron Messeler said they were still in mourning, but were doing “fine”.

    Waldeck said a funeral was being planned, and was likely to be held next Saturday. As many as 2 000 people were expected to attend.

    “People from all over have called me. Big bosses in the police, MECs, church communities, children, adults, the media - everyone is calling me. My phone has been ringing so much it’s running out of battery all the time,” Waldeck said. - Sunday Argus

    0 0

    Fomer MP Ronnie Kasrils has called for the dismissal of the police minister and national police commissioner..


    Cape Town - As eight policemen appear in court on Monday charged with the murder of taxi driver Mido Macia last week, former Intelligence Services Minister Ronnie Kasrils has called for President Jacob Zuma to dismiss the minister of police and the national police commissioner in the wake of the death.

    In a letter to the Cape Times, Kasrils said he had warned of increasing police brutality when he left government four years ago.

    “In any civilised democratic society one would see either resignations or suspensions of the chiefs of police or dismissals by the head of state,” Kasrils said.

    Macia, 27, was dragged behind a police van and died of head injuries last week in Daveyton, east of Johannesburg. Amateur video footage went viral on the internet, made international news headlines and has set off a wave of anger against the SA Police Services.

    Eight policemen – two warrant officers and six constables – were suspended, disarmed and arrested last week and are expected to appear in the Daveyton Magistrate’s Court on Monday for Macia’s murder.

    National police commissioner Riah Phiyega also had the Daveyton police station commissioner removed from his position.

    Police minister Nathi Mthethwa was on honeymoon.

    Kasrils said he had not expected that “along with so many ordinary South Africans I would witness in a democratic South Africa abominations such as the police killing of Ficksburg activist Andries Titane; the Marikana massacre of striking mineworkers; the shooting of protesting farm labourers in the Cape winelands, and now this latest bloodcurdling imagery of a Mozambican taxi driver being dragged to his death behind a police van.”

    He said he had become concerned about “reports of beatings and torture in police cells; the attacks on protest demonstrations; the “shoot to kill” exhortations of police ministers; reports involving police corruption; use of conspiracy theories to deal with opponents of government; and the move to strengthen the powers of the government security cluster by dubious means”.

    Meanwhile, opposition parties on Sunday demanded that President Jacob Zuma set up a judicial commission of inquiry into police brutality.

    “It’s not enough to merely ask questions about specificincidents such as Marikana and Daveyton. This country needs to know there is a plan to ensure they are not repeated over and over again,” said DA MP Dianne Kohler Barnard.

    Annual reports of police watchdog the Independent Complaints Directorate (now the Independent Police Investigating Directorate, Ipid), show there were more than 4 000 deaths in police custody between 2006 and 2011, including 698 in 2006/07, 792 in 2007/08, 912 in 2008/09, 860 in 2009/10 and 797 in 2010/2011.

    “It gives me no satisfaction to have publicly warned, along with others, that our country needed to be on guard against the sinister growth of security powers and the culture of police brutality,” Kasrils wrote.

    On Sunday Moses Dlamini, spokesman for Ipid, said the eight officers had not yet pleaded but had been charged with murder.

    A post-mortem found he died of head injuries.

    On Sunday Dlamini said a second post-mortem was expected but did not say when.

    Home Affairs spokesman Ronnie Mamoepa said officials had visited Macia’s relatives and were helping where they could with necessary documentation, including a death certificate.

    Gauteng Premier Nomvula Mokonyane’s spokesman Thebe Mohatle on Sunday said Macia, who had rented a shack in Daveyton, had one dependent, a seven-year-old son who was enrolled at a local school.

    “We’re committed to taking care of his needs in terms of education,” Mohatle said.

    It was not yet clear if the boy would go to Mozambique to stay with relatives or remain with relatives in Daveyton.

    The Council for the Advancement of the SA Constitution called on the police minster to report to Parliament on what would be done to ensure police were properly trained.

    Refugee campaigner Braam Hanekom, director of People Against Suffering, Oppression and Poverty (Passop), said immigrants, particularly those who did not have documents, were often “subjected to excessive humiliation and violence when detained”.

    KwaZulu-Natal had the most deaths in police custody (268), followed by Gauteng (217) and Eastern Cape (120).

    Cape Times

    0 0

    The man convicted of robbing Western Cape Finance MEC Alan Winde of his iPhone has been sentenced to eight years.


    Cape Town - The man convicted of robbing Western Cape Finance MEC Alan Winde of his iPhone has been sentenced to an effective eight years in jail.

    Cape Town Regional Court magistrate Wilma van der Merwe sentenced Xolani Dyidi to 10 years in jail for armed robbery. Two of them were suspended for five years.

    Van der Merwe said Dyidi’s criminal record showed that he had a complete disregard for people, their possessions and the criminal justice system.

    The court heard last month that Dyidi, 25, of Khayelitsha, had four previous convictions including malicious damage to property, assault, house-breaking and theft.

    Dyidi was last convicted of theft in August, just three months before Winde was robbed while cycling in Paarden Island.

    Dyidi was convicted of aggravated robbery for taking Winde’s iPhone at knife-point on November 2.

    Winde and his bodyguard, Warrant Officer Ollof Hendry Nicholson, were cycling in the BRT lane when he saw two men standing in the cycle lane.

    As he approached, Dyidi accosted him and he fell to the ground. Winde’s iPhone was snatched and Nicholson gave chase.

    While Dyidi was arrested within an hour after the incident the other suspect got away.

    “That road is for the BRT bus system. It is supposed to be the flagship of how good a public transport system can be and then you go ahead and do stuff like this,” Van der Merwe said.

    She said similar crimes made up 72 percent of the total number of cases before her in 2012.

    “This crime is very, very prevalent is this court’s jurisdiction,” Van der Merwe said.

    By law, Dyidi faced a minimum penalty of 15 years in jail for aggravated robbery but if he proved that substantial and compelling circumstances existed, the court could deviate from the prescribed minimum.

    “So far I have found very little mitigating factors and only aggravating factors. But one cannot disregard that armed robberies come in different degrees of seriousness,” Van der Merwe said.

    This crime was on the lower end of the scale for armed robberies, she said.

    What also counted in Dyidi’s favour was that Winde was not harmed during the robbery.

    “The place where the robbery was committed and how it was committed deserves a long period of imprisonment. Your previous convictions also came into play when deciding on a sentence,” Van der Merwe said.

    Cape Argus

    0 0

    A Mitchells Plain man has been arrested after he allegedly kept his family hostage with a sword and a pair of grass shears.


    Cape Town -A Mitchells Plain man has been arrested after he was alleged to have kept his family hostage with a sword and a pair of grass shears in a seven-hour stand-off.

    Police said the suspect had cut his wife on the chest with the grass shears and had also injured their five-year-old daughter and a teenage son.

    “The girl sustained an open wound on her upper body, and her 18-year-old brother sustained an open wound on his left hand after he was assaulted with a sword by his father,” said police spokesman Colonel Thembinkosi Kinana.

    Kinana confirmed the incident took place in De Larey Crescent, Eastridge, early on Sunday.

    “At about 2.07am, Mitchells Plain police received a complaint of a domestic violence incident at a house in Eastridge where a 43-year-old man was threatening to shoot his family - his wife, and their children, aged 18, nine and five.

    “Upon police arrival on the scene, police discovered that the suspect was threatening his wife and three children with a one-metre sword and grass shears and he kept them against their will in the house.”

    Kinana said hostage negotiators were sent to the scene to try and secure the family’s release.

    The police managed to remove the wife and the five-year-old girl, while the 18-year-old escaped on his own moments later, but the man refused to release the nine-year-old boy.

    “Police members made several attempts to defuse the situation and at about 9.30am the suspect subsequently released his nine-year-old son unharmed,” Kinana said.

    The suspect was then arrested. The woman and her two injured children were taken to hospital.

    Neighbours said the street had been blocked off by police.

    Julian Jerris said he was outside smoking when he heard screaming and police sirens and decided to have a look.

    “He went to the main box and put off everyone’s power, I remember I still wanted to make coffee, then all the blue lights made me curious,” Jerris said.

    Another neighbour, who did not want to be named, said residents wanted the suspect to leave the area.

    “He was my friend, he was everyone’s friend… we don’t want him here anymore,” he said.

    The suspect was in police custody and would appear in the Mitchells Plain Magistrate’s court on attempted murder charges, said Kinana. A court date would be confirmed on Tuesday.

    Cape Argus

    0 0

    ANC MPL Mcebisi Skwatsha owes the doctors and nurses of Khayelitsha Hospital an apology, says Premier Helen Zille.


    Cape Town - ANC MPL Mcebisi Skwatsha owes the doctors and nurses of Khayelitsha Hospital an apology, says Premier Helen Zille.

    Zille said Skwatsha misled the legislature last week when he claimed a woman died at the hospital after receiving a contraceptive injection.

    Skwatsha said the province’s health system was in such a state of disarray that a patient died recently after getting her contraceptive shot.

    Zille investigated and found that the woman was a regular patient at the hospital in the terminal stages of Aids.

    “An investigation into the claims by the head of health in this province found that the woman arrived at the hospital with septic shock. She was not even on a contraceptive injection, as honourable Skwatsha told the house, she was on oral contraception.

    “Skwatsha told fundamental untruths. He told South Africa and the world that, at one of our best hospitals, a lady had died after receiving a contraceptive injection when this was the opposite of the truth,” said Zille.

    “It was totally wrong to make those statements in the legislature without checking the facts. Skwatsha owes the doctors and nurses of Khayelitsha Hospital an apology and he needs to withdraw those statements.”

    In response, Skwatsha said he got the information from the woman’s husband.

    Cape Argus

    0 0
  • 03/04/13--03:30: Hijack ends in fatal crash
  • A woman was killed when a vehicle involved in a high-speed chase with cops crashed into her car in Cape Town.


    Cape Town - A high-speed chase ended with the death of a motorist on the corner of Buitengragt and Strand street in the CBD early on Monday morning.

    The woman was killed when a Toyota Avanza, driven by suspected hijackers, crashed into her Opel Corsa, at about 5am on Monday.

    The two occupants of the Toyota were being pursued by police.

    They were suspects in a hijacking that occurred in Nyanga earlier on Monday morning, said Merle Lourens, spokeswoman for the city’s traffic services.

    The hijacking was picked up by Skytracker, which notified the police. The flying squad gave chase, and followed the Toyota into the CBD. Police confirmed that a gun was found on the scene of the crash.

     Speaking on CapeTalk on Monday morning the woman’s sister-in-law, who identified herself only as Janine, said the victim’s husband was trying to get to the scene of the accident.

    However, he could not get through because of the heavy traffic congestion.

    The woman’s body was taken to the Salt River mortuary before he could reach the scene.

    Travelling up Strand Street, with police in pursuit, the Toyota went through a red traffic light, crossing into the lane of oncoming traffic on Buitengragt, said witness David Moshesh.

    The two suspects were unharmed and were arrested, said police spokesman Captain FC van Wyk. The driver of the Opel Corsa was declared dead on the scene.

    Theo Layne, spokesman for the city’s Fire and Rescue services, said his officials had responded to assist in securing the scene.

    Lourens said police forensic investigators had to secure the scene, blocking off the entire intersection, because there had been a fatality.

    “There were obviously disruptions to traffic. But our officers were on the scene to advise motorists about alternative routes and to divert the traffic appropriately.”

    Cape Argus

    0 0

    Former Fidentia boss J Arthur Brown suggested using a company's own funds to buy itself out, ex-broker Steven Goodwin testified.


     Cape Town - It was former Fidentia boss J Arthur Brown's idea to use a company's own funds to buy itself out, ex-broker Steven Goodwin told the Western Cape High Court on Monday.

    Goodwin said he had helped facilitate meetings between Fidentia and the Mantadia Asset Trust Company (Matco), later known as the Living Hands Umbrella Trust.

    The trust paid money from the mineworkers' provident fund to the widows and orphans of workers killed in mine accidents.

    “Arthur Brown and I attended some meetings 1/8in 2003 3/8. In the course of these meetings they not only proposed to use Fidentia as asset managers but also for Brown Brothers to buy the business,” he said.

    The purchase offer was put on ice, but in 2004, Brown apparently gave Goodwin a framework for how Fidentia could buy Matco.

    Prosecutor Thersia du Toit-Smit, asked Goodwin whether Brown had told him how he was going to pay for the deal.

    “In passing discourse with Arthur, he mentioned it as a side issue. He said 'We'll just pay them with their own money',” Goodwin said.

    In response to this, Brown muttered under his breath in court and shook his head. He also seemed to laugh in disbelief.

    Asked if Goodwin had reprimanded Brown for his alleged plan, he replied: “It was not my place to tell him that. I didn't know how serious it was.”

    Brown is on trial for allegedly running a pyramid scheme and using investors' funds for his personal gain.

    He has pleaded not guilty to four counts of fraud, two of corruption, one of money-laundering, and two of theft.

    It is alleged that Brown acquired Matco, but orchestrated the transaction so as to gain full control of the company before full payment of the purchase price.

    He allegedly then stole R70 million from Matco's current bank account to finance the balance of the Matco purchase price.

    Goodwin claimed that he did not know the inner workings of the deal.

    “I know less than nothing on what transpired... Various due diligence processes ensued... I was not involved in the negotiation of that agreement.”

    Goodwin said Matco director Geoff Gover got cold feet about the deal and wanted to know who Fidentia was and whether they would be able to pay the purchase price.

    He said Brown instructed him to put Gover at ease.

    Goodwin then assured Gover that Fidentia had the required infrastructure and professionalism for the deal. - Sapa

    0 0

    An ex-broker testified in the Western Cape High Court about financial statements he drafted to reflect investments with Fidentia.


    Cape Town - Ex-broker Steven Goodwin testified in the Western Cape High Court on Monday about financial statements he drafted to reflect investments with Fidentia.

    Goodwin said he was responsible for drafting these statements and would forward them to ex-Fidentia boss J Arthur Brown for final details before they were sent back to him to be given to the Transport, Education, and Training Authority (Teta).

    Brown is on trial for allegedly running a pyramid scheme and for using investors' funds for his personal gain.

    Goodwin said towards the end of 2006, Teta wanted outstanding statements regarding its investments with Fidentia.

    The company had not received its statements in June, July, and August.

    Goodwin said the statements sent to Teta were not detailed. One of their investments was simply named “promissory notes”.

    “They were supposed to be in the four big [local] banks. But they weren't. They were in properties. I didn't know what to write down. But I had to write down something to explain the situation, so I wrote promissory notes.”

    Teta CEO Piet Bothma wanted more detail on the investments.

    Brown previously admitted that Fidentia sent a letter to Bothma explaining that the Teta investment was comprised of “SA denominated money market investments”.

    The letter stated the investments were held via a custodian in “various money market investments which comprise our collective money market portfolio”.

    Fidentia said it was therefore not possible to list individual instruments held on behalf of Teta and, instead, attached a list of the complete portfolio.

    The State alleges the statements sent to Teta were false and reflected the promissory notes as if they were still in existence and under Fidentia's control.

    It further alleges that instead of re-investing this money for Teta, Brown used some of the proceeds for other purposes, including the purchase of vehicles and properties.


    0 0

    Marius Fransman is expected to leave the UAE after meeting the government there in a bid to have doctor Cyril Karabus released.


    Cape Town - Marius Fransman is expected to leave the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Monday after meeting government officials there in a bid to secure retired Cape Town specialist Cyril Karabus’s release.

    The deputy minister of international relations and co-operation travelled to the UAE late last week and met Karabus.

    Fransman had discussed Karabus’s case with UAE government officials on Sunday, department spokesman Clayson Monyela said.

    He said Fransman would leave the UAE and return to South Africa on Monday.

    Karabus, 77, a retired paediatric oncologist, has been held in the UAE for more than six months in connection with the death of a patient after being sentenced in absentia to three years in jail.

    His case was to have proceeded last week, but was postponed to March 20.

    The Department of International Relations and Co-operation said while in the UAE, Fransman was expected to raise the South Africa government’s concerns about:

    * Karabus’s health, which had deteriorated since his arrest.

    * The delays in the case. Karabus’s case had been postponed last week because a medical committee tasked with probing the case failed to provide its report.

    * The potential damage Karabus’s case could do to the “good relationship” between South Africa and the UAE because of “the negative public perceptions in South Africa about the matter”.

    In January, the South African government tried to secure Karabus’s release. It issued a démarche or strong protest to the UAE government calling for the case to be expedited.

    The case against Karabus has made international headlines, with the world, British and South African medical associations commenting on it.

    An article on the British Medical Association’s website said that after each postponement of his case, Karabus had learnt from newspaper reports when the next court date would be as he had not been formally told.

    Karabus was convicted in absentia of homicide and falsifying documents after the death of a three-year-old in 2000 at the Sheikh Khalifa Medical Centre in Abu Dhabi, where he had been a locum.

    Cape Times

    0 0

    A Vietnamese man died and 25 other crew were rescued as a fire raged aboard a fishing vessel in Cape Town harbour.


    Cape Town - A Vietnamese man died and 25 other crew were rescued as a fire raged for more than four hours aboard a South Korean long-liner fishing vessel in Cape Town harbour on Saturday evening.

    The South African Maritime Authority (Samsa) is investigating and police have opened a case of arson.

    Crew member, Ho Xuan Tung, 29 who was reported missing during the fire was found fatally burnt on board the Hwa–Tsan, said the Disaster Risk Management Centre’s Wilfred Solomons-Johannes.

    The vessel was berthed at the Landing Wharf in the port off Duncan Road.

    Tung’s remains were taken to the Forensic Pathology Services in Salt River.

    “A team of firefighters from 12 stations assisted in extinguishing the fire… When Fire and Rescue personnel arrived, smoke was billowing from the vessel. They were forced to withdraw at 9.23pm when strong winds intensified the blaze. A tug boat was on standby close to the vessel dowsing the blaze,” he said.

    When the rescue team gained access to the vessel through the hull, they extinguished the fire after 1am yesterday, said Solomons-Johannes.

    “The emergency services personnel averted any significant pollution,” he said.

    Solomons-Johannes said the crew of Taiwanese, Chinese, Vietnamese and Korean nationals were given emergency shelter at the Seaman’s Club, but the Regal Cape Marine shipping agency would be taking care of accommodation arrangements for the crew members.

    “The centre informed the embassies of Taiwan (Cape Town Tapei Liaison Office), People’s Republic of China, Socialist Republic of Vietnam and the Republic of Korea regarding the tragic incident. Immigration control officers were sent to assist with the admission of the foreigners into the territorial borders of South Africa and assisted with issuing permits,” he said.

    The fire scene has been put in the hands of the National Ports Authority of South Africa.

    Meanwhile, Solomons-Johannes said when authorities interviewed the crew it appeared that “in the course of conflict the vessel was torched purposefully”.

    Samsa spokesman Tebogo Ramatjie said a formal statement on the blaze would be released today and it would investigate the incident in terms of international maritime conventions.

    Police spokesman Tembinkosi Kinana said a docket of suspected arson had been opened.

    In a separate incident, 100 people from the Dakela Informal Settlement near Milnerton were left homeless when their shacks burnt down early on Saturday.

    The centre has assisted the families with building materials along with food parcels, blankets and clothes.

    Cape Times

    0 0

    A phone call convinced directors of the Mantadia Asset Trust Company to hand over control to the company's new owners, the court heard.


    Cape Town - A phone call convinced directors of the Mantadia Asset Trust Company (Matco) to hand over control to the company's new owners, the Western Cape High Court heard on Monday.

    Former broker for Fidentia Steven Goodwin testified that he helped facilitate meetings between Matco directors and former Fidentia boss J Arthur Brown, which resulted in a purchase deal from Fidentia's side.

    On Brown's orders, he attended a Matco “ceremony” in Johannesburg.

    He said it was late afternoon when an accountant at this ceremony received a phone call.

    “The accountant got a call to say funds had been transferred. There was a huge celebration and there was an announcement to staff that they had new bosses,” Goodwin said.

    Prosecutor Thersia du Toit-Smit asked Goodwin if he heard what was said on the phone or if he knew the accountant's name.

    “No, I couldn't. I didn't have a great deal to do with the ins and outs of these people. I could hear him talking. I could confirm funds had been transferred,” he told the court.

    Brown is on trial for allegedly running a pyramid scheme and for using investors' funds for his personal gain.

    He has pleaded not guilty to four counts of fraud, two of corruption, one of money-laundering, and two of theft.

    It is alleged that Brown acquired Matco, but orchestrated the transaction so as to gain full control of the company before full payment of the purchase price.

    He allegedly then stole R70 million from Matco's current bank account to finance the balance of the Matco purchase price.

    The indictment stated that at a general director's meeting in Sandown on October 19, 2004, directors accepted that the full purchase price had been paid at the same time they received payment for their shares in the company.

    They then approved the appointment of new Matco directors and resigned with immediate effect.

    Goodwin earlier told the court Brown had told him how he was going to pay for the company.

    “In passing discourse with Arthur, he mentioned it as a side issue. He said 'We'll just pay them with their own money',” he said.

    In response to this, Brown muttered under his breath in court and shook his head. He also seemed to laugh in disbelief.

    Asked if Goodwin had reprimanded Brown for his alleged plan, he replied: “It was not my place to tell him that. I didn't know how serious it was.”

    The trial was postponed until Tuesday. - Sapa

    0 0
  • 03/04/13--06:54: Media barred from rape trial
  • The media was barred from parts of the trial of a Knysna businessman facing 79 charges, including statutory rape.



    George - The media was barred on Monday from parts of the trial of a Knysna businessman facing 79 charges, including statutory rape.

    Prosecutor Evadne Kortje asked that some of the evidence in the Thembalethu Magistrate's Court in George be heard in camera.

    She said the evidence, which would be presented by the Cyber Crime Intelligence Unit, could jeopardise the victims' identities and privacy.

    Judge Patricia Goliath ruled that the evidence be presented in camera.

    Adrian Wilson-Forbes, 60, has pleaded not guilty to charges of statutory rape, abduction, indecent assault, trafficking persons for sexual purposes, and making child pornography.

    Wilson-Forbes allegedly abducted an 11-year-old boy from the Garden Route mall in George in 2001.

    He apparently took him to a local dam where he allegedly exposed his genitals and offered him money to have sex with him. The boy was allegedly indecently assaulted.

    He allegedly offered the boy money to find him young girls for sex and also asked him to take photographs of the sexual acts.

    The first two girls were abducted in 2001 and 2002 and aged between eight and nine.

    Wilson-Forbes allegedly approached him again in 2012 to find another underage girl.

    After the rape of an eight-year-old girl on March 29, Wilson-Forbes' original victim, now an adult, took the photographs of the sexual acts to police. He was arrested in May.

    On Monday morning, evidence bags containing personal items belonging to Wilson-Forbes were handed over to the court.

    Warrant Officer Anton Jonker testified the bags, which contained clothing, shoes, a cap, glasses and a jar of Vaseline, were originally handed over to the George police for safekeeping. - Sapa

    0 0
  • 03/04/13--23:37: Delft residents want curfew
  • Crime-fatigued Delft residents want police to impose an 11pm curfew and to get spaza shops to close at 9pm.


    Cape Town - Crime-fatigued Delft residents want police to impose an 11pm curfew and to get spaza shops to close at 9pm.

    This follows several gang shootings that have claimed two lives over the past few weeks.

    Police spokesman Captain FC van Wyk said the shootings happened on Sunday, February 17.

    The victims were Faizel Marks and Franklin Gabriels, both 29. Marks was walking with his son when a gunman shot him in the head, back and arm. Gabriels was shot eight times in the head, face and body.

    Delft Community Police Forum chairman Reginald Maart said on Monday that the two shootings had shaken the community.

    Meetings between residents and the police were held at Rosendal Primary over three days last week.

    Maart said it was also suggested that police increase patrols of the area.

    “Sometimes you find youngsters on the street corners after 10pm, and they can become targets for people wanting them to sell drugs.

    The spaza shops normally operate late into the night, and people get caught in the gang shooting crossfire on their way to the shops.”

    Maart said the forum had spoken to the City of Cape Town’s mayco member for safety and security, JP Smith, to see if he could help.

    Smith said on Monday that there was no law that would allow policing forums to close spaza shops at night because they were protected by the constitution. He said that the city was in talks with the provincial government to see if there was a mechanism in the Provincial Business Act that would allow the city to deal with this.

    Smith said that forcing spaza shops to close early would also allow criminals to roam freely at night and that better policing was necessary.

    Van Wyk said there were no curfews in place from the police’s side, but that sector managers would be addressing residents’ concerns.

    Cape Argus

    0 0

    Another vigilante attack in Khayelitsha has left a man, suspected of being a burglar, dead.


    Cape Town - Another vigilante attack in Khayelitsha has left a man dead. A man suspected of being a burglar was assaulted and necklaced in the Nkanini informal settlement near Macassar on Monday.

    Police spokesman Captain FC van Wyk said officers responded to the call at 2am near the Chris Hani train station. The victim had not yet been identified.

    Police were searching for a single suspect, said Van Wyk.

    Residents said they heard the suspect calling out that he was being robbed. Veza Nethi, who lives next door to the suspect, said: "There were two guys that were suspected of robbing the man, but the one got away. When we got outside the dead guy was already badly beaten up."

    He said none of the neighbours recognised the man and they thought he may have been drunk and mistaken the house for a shebeen.

    Another resident, Mandisa Njaza, said they heard the suspect shouting around midnight and that the alleged burglar was "taken around the corner and burned".

    "We tried calling the police over and over again but they didn't answer," Njaza said.

    Nearly 80 similar attacks were reported last year, most of them in Khayelitsha.

    Premier Helen Zille set up the O'Regan Commission of Inquiry to investigate alleged police inefficiency and the breakdown in relations between residents and police in Khayelitsha.

    Cape Argus

    0 0

    A Cape hotel has taken the Zar Lounge, owned by Kenny Kunene associate Gayton McKenzie, to court for not paying rent.


    Cape Town -

    An upmarket Green Point hotel has taken the Zar Lounge, owned by Kenny Kunene associate Gayton McKenzie, to court for outstanding rent of more than R450 000.

    Cape Royale director Paschal Phelan has brought a liquidation application against Gayton McKenzie Pty Ltd, which trades as Zar Lounge from the hotel’s premises on Main Road.

    The matter was brought before the Western Cape High Court on Monday.

    McKenzie, a former convicted bank robber turned motivational speaker and business tycoon, is listed as the sole director of Zar in Cape Town.

    McKenzie is also known for his business links with ex-convict and millionaire Kunene who was dubbed the “sushi king” following a party held at Zar in Joburg where men ate sushi off scantily-clad women.


    According to court papers, McKenzie entered into a five-year lease agreement with the hotel on February 24, 2011, and agreed to pay a monthly rent of R71 500. But at the beginning of last month McKenzie was in arrears of R452 622,81, the hotel claims.

    McKenzie had apparently failed to pay rent since February last year.

    Documents before court features e-mails between McKenzie and the hotel’s financial manager, Jacques Janse van Rensburg and show that in November , there was an undertaking that McKenzie would pay R50 000 every Tuesday to meet the shortfall.

    In one e-mail, dated November 9, McKenzie said: “We were promised that all our monies will be made available by Sars today as they have finalised their lifestyle audit on us. It will definitely be available next week.

    “I really don’t know what to say as (Janse van Rensburg) has been extremely patient with this account. We have been through eight months of hell and I hate the fact that our matters disadvantaged you guys.”

    McKenzie sent another e-mail: “…Lastly, we also give undertaking that we will not enter 2013 without us having fully serviced this debt.”

    Phelan claims the business has gone under and asked the court to intervene.

    McKenzie has not yet filed responding papers and has until March 18 in which to to do so. The hearing has been set down for April 10.

    Cape Argus

    0 0

    The Western Cape Education Department is probing shocking video footage of pupils having sex in a classroom.


    Cape Town - The Western Cape Education Department is investigating shocking video footage of pupils having sex in the back of a classroom.

    The Daily Voice handed over the video clip to the authorities after a concerned parent brought it to our attention.

    There are fears that the video – which clearly shows a boy and girl, who look in their early teens, having sexual intercourse – has now gone viral among students in Cape Town.

    The whistleblower, who does not want to be identified, found it on her nephew’s cellphone.

    He told her it was sent to him from another friend, who attends a different school.

    “I don’t know how far this clip has spread because my nephew belongs to another school,” she said. “The moment I saw it I took it from his phone.

    “I don’t know what their [children in the video] parents would say if they must see this or what they must be going through if they found out about this.”

    The WCED on Monday night vowed to investigate the footage after it was brought to their attention.

    “We are deeply concerned about this case and are investigating it as a matter of urgency,” WCED spokeswoman Bronagh Casey explained.

    “The video has only come to the department’s attention today. We were not aware of its existence and are trying to ascertain the location of the school.”

    The footage – which is more than a minute long – shows the learners having sex inside an empty classroom while a third pupil records the act from above.

    The graphic clip clearly shows a teen girl having sex with her classmate while sitting on his lap.

    They are both still in their school uniform. The teenagers’ school uniform is identifiable on the video.

    In the video, the boy’s pants are pulled down to his knees as he sits in a chair with one hand placed around the girl.

    A few seconds into the recording the boy looks into the camera above him and smiles as the girl remains facing down.

    The boy can be heard talking to the girl, but it is not clear what he is saying to her.

    He’s also seen showing gang signs into the camera at the start and near the end of the recording.

    The girl, who is dressed in a skirt and school jersey, leans over a desk as they began to have sex.

    It is not clear if the kids used any protection.

    Towards the end of the video, the girl suddenly looks up, as if noticing the camera for the first time.

    She quickly tries to hide her face in embarrassment, indicating that she did not know she was being filmed.

    While she seems shocked after discovering they were being watched, her male friend simply looks into the camera and smiles.

    Educators on Monday night expressed their shock at the video.

    Teachers Union Provincial Secretary Joavon said the footage was “a serious matter for concern”.

    He added: “It is important that the boy and girl involved must seek counselling – and we must educate them.

    “These children must also be made aware of the sexual viruses that could spread. And if the girl did not know she was being filmed, the boy must be expelled.”

    Vice Chairperson of the Mount View High School governing body Anthony Corolus – himself a father of five – said parents should also be held responsible.

    “This issue is rife at certain high schools,” he told the Daily Voice.

    “Parents expect teachers to look after their kids when they forget educators are there to educate.

    “Parents play a vital role in our children’s upbringing. We should stand up and take responsibility.”

    Daily Voice

    0 0
  • 03/05/13--00:33: MyCiTi launches new loop
  • The new service operates on a circular route between the central terminus at the cape Town Civic Centre and Salt River station.


    Cape ARgus - Less than 24 hours after the City of Cape Town received its licence to operate a MyCiTi bus service through Walmer Estate, vehicles were traversing the suburb’s narrow roads.

    The city applied for the operating licences in August and the service was originally due to begin on December 1. But it was stalled by a series of objections lodged with the Western Cape Provincial Operating Licensing Boardby Golden Arrow and the SA National Taxi Council (Santaco).

    “We have been ready since the end of last year. The resources have been there, the drivers trained. All that was missing was the go-ahead,” said Brett Herron, the mayoral committee member for transport.

    The new service operates on a circular route between the central terminus at the Civic Centre and Salt River train station, and the buses run at 20-minute or 30-minute intervals.

    Walmer Estate resident Georgina Reuter welcomed the service.

    “Today is the first time I’m using it. I have been living in Walmer Estate for 63 years,” she said.

    “In all that time there’s never been transport down to Main Road where I do my shopping. I’m really happy, because now I don’t have to walk all the way down the hill and back again.”

    At a media briefing on Monday Herron introduced the service, explained the timetables and highlighted special features - the buses are low to the ground to allow for easy access, they are wheelchair friendly, and there are “change management ambassadors” to sell myconnect cards and explain the system for buying credit.

    Lerato Sitole, the ambassador on the media briefing trip, said people were initially sceptical about having to buy a myconnect card, which cost R23.

    “But once they get used to the new system, see that the service is cheaper than other transport options - and more comfortable - they relax,” she said.

    It is understood that the city is looking into promoting the service as a restaurant, market and leisure route because of the dining outlets and Old Biscuit Mill in Woodstock, which fall on or near the route.

    “I think it will make it easier for the staff and customers. It would be less stressful for foreigners having to travel from the CBD,” said Retha Neethling, restaurant manager at Jamaica Me Crazy.

    Golden Arrow spokeswoman Bronwen Dyke said the company did not oppose the new service.

    “(Golden Arrow) had objected to the fact that MyCiTi had, at the same time, prematurely applied for operating licences along other routes where no official contracts had been issued,” she said.

    Cape Argus

    0 0

    “I’m scared for my eight-month-old-baby, because rats have been known to kill small babies,” saysa Khayelitsha resident.


    Cape Town - Residents of Khayelitsha have been terrorised by rats for more than a decade. It has been a year since the Cape Argus reported on the plight of the residents of SST Town II, but little has changed.

    Nobantu Matshelmane has been living in Khayelitsha for as long as she can remember.

    “They promised us houses, but all we have are rats attacking us in these shacks,” she said, pointing at the bite marks on her hands.

    Matshelmane’s 10-year-old grandson has been bitten three times.

    “The rats are huge, and human-like. We have to put our containers away because they open them and eat our food,” said the 64-year-old.

    According to the residents, the rats were attracted by a container placed in the area by the city for people to dump their rubbish in.

    “People are dumping everything here. Some people even use the area as a toilet, because we have no toilets here,” said resident Maxy Rasmen.

    The area around the container is strewn with refuse, discarded furniture and human excrement.

    “The smell is strong and probably attracts the rats,” said Rasmen. “I’m scared for my eight-month-old-baby, because rats have been known to kill small babies.”

    Rasmen and other mothers said they covered their children at night in an attempt to prevent them being bitten by rats, which came out at dusk.

    “Even in this heat, we have to bundle our children in blankets, otherwise the rats will bite them,” Rasmen said.

    According to the Social Justice Coalition, rats and dumping have long been a problem in the community.

    “The city has tried projects to clean up swamps where these rats are coming from, but that hasn’t worked well,” said coalition spokesman Azolile Notywala.

    He said he often heard stories from parents about rats tormenting their children.

    Khayelitsha ward councillor Monde Nqulwana said some of the blame lay with the community, who did not follow the guidelines given by the city’s environmental health department.

    “People are still dumping meat and food, which will attract the rats.”

    Nqulwana said the wetlands and stagnant water had led to an increase in the rat population. “It will probably get worse with the rain in winter”.

    Councillor Lungiswa James, the mayoral committee member for health, said that the City of Cape Town managed the areas where rodent breeding occurred.

    “”Rats are a manifestation of, among other things, poor waste management. The city has waste contractors to render the service across the city, including informal settlements. However, in some instances, residents do not co-operate by leaving the rubbish out on collection day.”

    Cape Argus

older | 1 | .... | 54 | 55 | (Page 56) | 57 | 58 | .... | 189 | newer